The Lagos State Safety Commission on Wednesday sealed off Chengfa Footwear Limited, a Chinese-owned firm at Ikeja, over safety hazards and unpalatable working environment.
The move came following the death of a 16-year-old employee, identified as Joseph Ekwenube, who was electrocuted while operating a machine.
Mr Ekwenube was rushed to the Lagos State General Hospital on May 31 where he was confirmed dead.
Chengfa footwear is a company that specialises in the recycling and production of rubber footwear, and production of raw materials for rubber footwear.
Hakeem Dickson, the General Manager of the Lagos State Safety Commission, said the company was sealed after an inspection done by safety practitioners.
“The law says once you engage over five staff, you must implement safety measures,” Mr Dickson said.
“If not for the accident, the Lagos State Safety Commission would not have known that there is a company like Chengfa.”
“I see very poor housekeeping, the hazards are so much, and the risks are high. The company must be ISO certified, 9001 ISO, 45001 and 14001 ISO before the company can be reopened.”
Premium Times reports that members of the inspection team while giving their report said the victim was electrocuted while loading into a machine meant to convey materials to where they would be processed.
Latest entries from the author
- Features2020.03.25Coronavirus: How To Keep Your Health And Business Afloat
- Health2020.01.0411 Ways To Stay Safe And Healthy During Harmattan
- News2020.01.03Lagos Urge Event Organizers To Seek Approval Or Face Sanctions
- Health2020.01.03“Fruits Are A Better Snack For Healthy Living In 2020” – Nutrition Expert