Importance of fire extinguisher for Safety of business and staffs
Fires are extremely dangerous and happen quite a bit. According to the National Fire Protection Association a structure fire occurred every 63 seconds and a home fire occurred every 88 seconds in 2017. This places a tremendous burden on our firefighters.
A study performed by the European Committee of the Manufacturers of Fire Protection Equipment and Fire Fighting Vehicles found that in over 80% of all fires a portable fire extinguisher extinguished the flames. Plain and simple, Fire Extinguishers save lives!.
Choosing the correct type of fire extinguisher is also important. Using your safety data sheets, you should be able to determine the type of fire extinguishers needed. A lot of companies assume that the higher the rating the better. This isn’t always the case, pay close attention to what you need the fire extinguisher for and select accordingly.
Case for Worker Fire Extinguisher Training.
Given the prevalence of early detection and termination of fires in the workplace, a case can be made for hands-on demonstration training of workers in the correct use of portable fire extinguishers. Workers receiving and correctly demonstrating the use of fire extinguishers in fire extinguisher training is an important component of any workplace fire prevention strategy. In fact, fire extinguisher demonstration training builds confidence in the correct use of this life-saving equipment while also building life skills that can be used off-the-job where there is also the potential for fire and where prevention is key, but where the fire extinguisher may have to be handled effectively.
Furthermore, ensuring that your employees know where the fire extinguishers are located, which fire extinguishers are need in each area, and that they are inspected annually are all keys to effective performance.
What do you need to do to stay compliant?
- Ensure all employees are trained on the location, classes of fires, types of extinguishers, health and safety hazards, sounding alarms, ppe, and when and how to use the extinguisher.
- Ensure all employees practice how to use and extinguish a fire.
- All extinguishers must have an attached durable tag, be well supported and easily accessible.
- Fire extinguishers must be inspected annually.
Fire extinguisher training is one of the most entertaining safety courses available. Typically, the training will last less than an hour with time at the end to practice extinguishing fires.
Importance of Fire Prevention for Business.
Our businesses are combustible places where we store hazardous chemicals and where we perform work that can cause fires such as welding and other hot work. Early detection of fire situations and making sure that the appropriate equipment is on hand to extinguish a fire early should be the focus. The proper use and worker training on fire safety equipment such as fire extinguishers is key. Safe use and practice of fire extinguishing equipment by workers insures the best outcomes in fire emergency situations.
Has anyone ever been involved in a workplace fire? If so, how did it happen? Was anyone injured? What was the outcome?
- Temi Badmus is a Food scientist and an Art enthusiast. Her desire is to give a listening ear to people and to give an opportunity for everyone to be heard. She's a humorous and controversial writer, who believes all form of writing is audible if its done well. Temi Badmus is research oriented, dog lover; she is currently a mum to two brutal Jack Russell terrier male and female - "Cash" and the female is yet to be named . 🐕 The future is female... The future is Productive
Latest entries from the author
- Environmental Safety2021.05.18Safety issues caused by air pollution to working environment
- Environmental Safety2021.05.18Essential steps to prevent workplace injuries among workers
- Environmental Safety2021.05.17Safety precautions that help prevent spread of fire accidents
- News2021.05.17Understanding and Measuring Fire Response Times; Engr. Martin Agbili