World Safety Day: How to effectively Communicate Safety
The World Day for Safety and Health at Work is celebrated annually on 28 April to promote the prevention of occupational accidents and diseases globally. It is an awareness-raising campaign intended to focus international attention on the magnitude of the problem and on how promoting and creating a safety and health culture can help reduce the number of work-related deaths and injuries.
The health of workers and their immediate Environment is very important, therefore the need to put control measures into place is always needed.
Today, we will be discussing ways how to effectively Communicate Safety in our work place and within the community.
1. Initiate training
Training is one of the most essential ways to communicate safety to people in any industry either safety industry or other. A trained Employee is not only an asset of saving lives to himself but to others around him likewise an untrained Employee is definitely not an issues to himself alone but the company and colleagues also.
Training is very important as it give the workers an idea of what is wrong and right , what to do and what not to do, when to do what to do and when not to. It does not necessarily matter how long the training may take or the finances, what matter most is that the employee are self aware and taught on things that needs to be done right.
2. Monitor and follow up with risky behavior
A few number of times, some accident could have been controlled if there were Professionals/ Adequate people on ground to monitor and discourage some certain habit of the workforce eg An Employee performing a certain routine in a way approach because that approach is easier and faster but not considering the fact that it maybe dangerous, a typical example is a cleaner soaking down the floor to the plant because it is easier to mop but not considering the fact that a fellow workers may slip and fall thereby encountering danger, such behavior like this should be monitored , followed up and strongly discouraged.
3. Create and Implement control measures
Every organization within the community should have a drafted out control measures to solve work enforce safety, and this measure should not just be available but must be implemented to provide result. A very crucial example is the use of PPE, for situation where PPE are not available there should be control measures which is already tabled down for the safety of the work force.
4. Revision of Policies, measures and control
After creating policies ,measures and control to put situation in check, the next thing an organization needs to for controlling safety is to ensure all those created are been reviewed. At time goes by workers get used to certain policy and become complacent about it, the organization needs to be sensitive enough to review their actions towards these policies
They need to know if the policy is been followed and followed right. After then which you ensure affirmation of doing it right and knowing more about doing it right.
5. Document cases to trace management issues .
Documentation is very important in preventing reoccurrence of certain event. If the company and agent within the community keep a file that states how a certain work place accident happened, how it was treated then it becomes easier to avoid such accident concurrently.
Documentation can help you trace situation with immediate effect. Your documentation can either be in software form or hardware form depending on which is easier for the company to handle.
We hope this helps you to prevent occupational accident in your company.
Once again, Happy World safety day from all of us at HSENations.
- Temi Badmus is a Food scientist and an Art enthusiast. Her desire is to give a listening ear to people and to give an opportunity for everyone to be heard. She's a humorous and controversial writer, who believes all form of writing is audible if its done well. Temi Badmus is research oriented, dog lover; she is currently a mum to two brutal Jack Russell terrier male and female - "Cash" and the female is yet to be named . 🐕 The future is female... The future is Productive
Latest entries from the author
- Safety Processes2021.08.02Constructive Feedback and its effect on a worker’s productivity
- Personal Safety2021.07.30Leadership behavior that reduces injuries in the workplace
- Safety Processes2021.07.29Ways safety professionals can improve productivity
- Environmental Safety2021.07.28Ways Economic growth affects environmental safety