Sanwo-Olu Caution Lagosians On Fire Safety Measures
The Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, of Lagos, has advised residents of the state to take precautionary measures to prevent fire outbreaks.
Sanwo-Olu, who spoke through Wale Ahmed, commissioner for Special Duties and Inter-Governmental Relations, said the current low humidity in the harmattan season could spread fire, noting that numerous fire outbreaks have been recorded in some parts of Nigeria and the rest of the world.
He urged residents and shop owners to always switch-off all electrical appliances and unplug them while leaving their apartments, saying “If there is no spark, there won’t be spread of fire”.
He also advised residents to keep gas cylinders in an open space away from their kitchens to prevent fire disasters even in the case of a leakage.
The governor called on the people to invest in basic firefighting equipment such as fire extinguishers in case of emergencies.
He said while the state government is prepared to respond to emergency situations at all times, it is better and more cost-effective to take precautionary measures to prevent disasters.
Among the fire incidents recorded across the country is that of three children were burnt to death on Friday in Ibadan, Oyo state, after their parents locked them in the house and went out.
HSENations earlier reported the fire incident that occurred at the Akesan market in Oyo town.